- 0.1 Why Do You Need a Cat Feeder?
- 0.2 Types of Automatic Cat Feeders
- 0.3 Surprising Facts about Cats’ Feeding
- 0.4 How the Best Automatic Cat Feeders were Chosen: Analysis + Real-Life Testing
- 0.5 Top Cat Harness Models: Comparative Chart
- 0.6 The Best Automatic Cat Feeder Models: Our Choice
- 1 Feed and Go Smart Pet Feeder
- 2 PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
- 3 Vanness AF3 3-Pound Auto Feeder
- 4 HoneyGuaridan A25 Automatic Pet Feeder with Voice Recorder and Timer Programmable
- 5 Bergan Gourmet
- 6 PetSafe 5-Meal Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder
- 7 Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser for Dogs & Cats
- 8 Verdict and Recommendations
Why Do You Need a Cat Feeder?
There are several reasons why you need to buy this smart device for your kitty. First and foremost, it is convenient. Just imagine that you don’t have to get up at 7 a.m. on Sunday and feed your feline. Instead, it is done automatically, and you can sleep till noon. Further, it helps your cat to keep to a diet. No malnutrition and no overeating: it gets the proper amount of food in the specified time, even when you are at work. This is particularly significant for cats with health issues. Finally, it lets you leave your home for several days without fear. Just load a feeder with food, and fill a drinking fountain with water. Your cat won’t starve to death even if you are away for a week.
If you’ve made up your mind to buying the best automatic cat feeder, you’ve probably faced the problem of choice. With so many models on sale and so many automatic cat feeder reviews, it’s easy to get lost in the assortment. That is why it’s important to understand what type of a feeder you need.
Types of Automatic Cat Feeders
There are a lot of kinds of cat feeders. They are categorized based on the type of food, capacity, type of a dispenser and other criteria. In particular, an automatic feeder can be:
- for dry, wet, or mixed food;
- with a continuous, or scheduled food dispensing;
- for one, two, or more cats;
- with a timer (digital or mechanical), or without it;
- large, medium, or small;
- with a batcher, or without it;
- outdoor automatic cat feeder models and feeders for using at home;
- electrical, battery-powered, or non-powered.
As you see, it’s quite a challenge to choose the best cat automatic feeder. Our comprehensive cat feeder automatic review based on real-life testing and expert opinion will help you to make a wise choice. All you need to is to decide what features you really need.
Surprising Facts about Cats’ Feeding
1. Cats sniff around the food before eating not because they are so picky. They check the temperature of the food in such a way.
2. Cats eating live mice have nice glossy fur because mice’s skin is rich in sulfur, which is an essential component for a cat.
3. Cats can’t stand the smell of citrus.
4. Cat’s don’t distinguish sweet taste. Sweets are tasteless for them.
5. Dog’s food is inappropriate for cats because their requirement of proteins is completely different.
How the Best Automatic Cat Feeders were Chosen: Analysis + Real-Life Testing
Our automatic cat feeder review covers seven models that have been considered to be the best based on several criteria. We tried to be as impartial as possible when compiling our ranking. First of all, we compared their specifications – the results are presented below, in the form of a comparative chart. Next, we analyzed tons of real customers’ reviews and tried to single out pros and cons of every model. Finally, we tested samples of the chosen feeders in real-life conditions in order to make sure each of them really deserves the title of the winner.
Top Cat Harness Models: Comparative Chart
|Brand||Feed and Go Smart Pet Feeder||PetSafe Healthy Pet||Vanness AF3 3-Pound Auto Feeder||Honey Guaridan A25 Automatic Pet Feeder||Bergan Gourmet||PetSafe 5-Meal Automatic Feeder||Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder|
|Type of food||Dry and wet||Dry and semi-moist||Dry||Dry||Dry||Dry||Dry|
|Timer||Digital timer||Digital timer||No timer||Digital timer||No timer||Digital timer||Digital timer|
|Meals per day||6||Up to 12||Food is not divided into the portions||Adjustable||Food is not divided into the portions||5||4|
|Portion size||1 cup||1/8-4 cups||Food is constantly added||1/32-4 cups||Food is constantly added||1 cup||1-10 cups|
|Container capacity||6 cups||24 cups||3 lbs of dry food||3.3 lbs of dry food||6 lbs of dry food||5 cups||27 cups|
The Best Automatic Cat Feeder Models: Our Choice
The best automatic cat feeder review presented is a list of top-7 models that are currently on sale. All of them have a lot of positive reviews of real customers. Read and choose the feeder that suits you best.
Feed and Go Smart Pet Feeder
Feed & Go is a smart electric automatic cat feeder, which is a great solution for those who often stay away all day long. This is a universal device suitable for both dry and wet food. It has six individual compartments, each comprising one 8-oz bowl of food. The feeder features a built-in webcam and can be controlled remotely via a smartphone.
- adjustable food dispensing timing;
- a webcam for a remote monitoring;
- suits for different types of food;
- iOS- and Android-compatible.
- no built-in refrigerator;
- isn’t refilled automatically;
- the maximum number of portions is six.
PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
This is a large automatic cat feeder with a perfect adjustability. Thanks to flexible settings, one can choose a size of one portion, the number of portions per day (up to 12) and the mode of food dispensing. The feeder can be loaded with dry or semi-moist food. A stainless steel bowl is easy to clean and absolutely safe for pets.
- fully programmable;
- 3 modes of food dispensing: immediate, slow, and pause;
- can hold up to 24 bowls of food;
- high-quality materials;
- can work on batteries, and mains power supplies.
- no remote control feature;
- no camera;
- no batteries included.
Vanness AF3 3-Pound Auto Feeder
This is a cheap automatic cat feeder, which is easy to use and easy to clean. It has a very simple construction: dry food is loaded into the container, from where it is gradually dispensed to a bowl, coming through a narrow hole in the bottom of the container. Vanness AF3 is a low-budget feeder for those who want to be sure that their pets are not starving when left alone.
- very affordable;
- very easy to assemble, refill and clean;
- can be washed in a dishwasher;
- quite a large capacity;
- non-toxic materials.
- portions of food are not regulated, so a cat can overeat.
HoneyGuaridan A25 Automatic Pet Feeder with Voice Recorder and Timer Programmable
This timed automatic cat feeder offers plenty of flexibility. It allows to divide the daily volume of food into 6 portions that are dispensed in the specified time periods. The size of one portion can vary from 1/32 to 4 cups.
- good adjustability;
- a voice recorder with a speaker;
- a large container;
- for cats and dogs.
- batteries not included;
- for dry food only.
This is a simple but very nice feeder for dry food dispensing. Its transparent container lets control the amount of food in stock and is easy to disassemble and clean. The bowl is made of BPA-free plastic.
- affordable and easy to use;
- high-grade BPA-free plastic;
- a transparent bowl lets monitor the amount of food;
- a big 6 lbs container.
- not regulated portion size;
- for dry food only;
- no timer.
PetSafe 5-Meal Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder
This is popular and convenient digital automatic cat feeder with a built-in timer. It features a rotating plate with five compartments, each containing one cup of dry food. It is indispensable in situations when you are out of home all day long and still want your pets to get food in small portions throughout the day.
- a digital timer allows to set the desired time intervals between the portions;
- can be washed in a dishwasher;
- high-grade non-toxic materials;
- prevents overeating.
- batteries are difficult to replace;
- no remote control.
Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser for Dogs & Cats
This is another best-rated automatic cat feeder that is fully customizable. Choose the portion size and the number of portions per day, set up a timer and record your own voice calling the pet. The feeder has a sleek design and will fit perfectly in any environment.
- an opportunity of varying the portion size;
- a large easy-to-refill container;
- great adjustability;
- perfect for organizing split meals for pets with special dietary needs.
- the bowl is plastic, not stainless steel;
- no remote control.
How to Maintain Automatic Cat Feeders?
A cat feeder is a device that usually doesn’t require any special maintenance. And still, it is necessary to keep it clean and tidy and use according to its intended purpose only. A feeder must be supplied with an automatic cat feeder manual where you can find all the necessary information.
Keep in mind that if you load in your automatic cat feeder wet food, you need to wash it more frequently; ideally – after every use. If you load in your automatic cat feeder dry food only, wash it when needed. Some models can be washed in dishwashers.
Cat Feeding Guide: Basic Tips for a Cat Feeder Buyer
Historically, felines are flesh-eaters, and their main food is raw meat. However, as of today, few domestic cats are fed with pure raw meat, not to mention live preys. If a cat is on homemade food, it’s very important to include all the necessary components in its everyday diet, and find an ideal balance of macro- and micronutrients. It’s not an easy affair, and more and more cat owners worldwide opt for commercial cat food that can be dry or wet.
- Dry or Wet?
Dry food is easy to use in feeders – you can use it even in 7 day cat feeder automatic models because it has an extended storage period. It is a convenient and practical option, but vets recommend to be cautious about it. If your cat is young and healthy, you may feed it with dry food solely. But if it is of senior age or has any health issues, chances are it needs some wet food as well. Fortunately, today it is not a problem even if you often stay out of home, as there are special feeders. In such an automatic cat feeder wet food refrigerated can be stored like in the fridge and dispensed in specified time periods.
- Prevent Overeating!
Many cats have no sense of proportion – they eat till they have food in their bowl. Meanwhile, overeating for a cat is even worse than malnutrition. Overweight cats have numerous health issues, and their life expectancy is shorter. It can be difficult to control the size of every food portion for your kitty, so an automatic cat feeder timer is the best way out.
- Choose an Optimal Frequency
Cat owners often wonder how often they need to feed their pets. Essentially, a healthy cat can be fed 2-3 times a day. But if your feline is prone to overeating, or has digestive problems, it makes sense to practice split meals. It works like with humans. A small automatic cat feeder is a good helper in such cases.
Verdict and Recommendations
If you are looking for the best automatic wet food cat feeder, consider Feed and Go Smart Pet Feeder. It is a gorgeous automatic cat feeder with camera that can be controlled remotely via a mobile device. Though it is not the cheapest model, it is a good value for money.
If you need a low-budget option, have closer look at the Vanness AF3 feeder. It is really affordable while being easy to use and quite sturdy. Finally, if you are in search of the most flexible device, opt for the Arf Pets Automatic, which offers the maximum adjustability.