Especially when traveling, it is not pleasant when the cats get sick. Of course, with us two-legged people it is already nasty, but especially with four-legged people it is incredibly nerve-wracking at home and especially on the road, you often search in vain for a suitable vet abroad – and then there is the language barrier.
But even at home, spontaneously occurring diarrhea, which our tigers took with them on the last trip directly into the vacation, can provide surprises of the unpopular variety.
Therefore, a cat first-aid kit for more harmless emergencies is on board with us for the upcoming camper trips. If we are not on the road, it is just as suitable for use in our own four walls.
This essential equipment of herbal medicines for cats or accessories does not replace the vet but can be very beneficial for simpler problems.
Emergency cat pharmacy – Wound care for cats
So let’s start with the most important thing: What to do in an emergency if the worst case happens and the cat has contracted an open wound? First, it is important to remain calm because panic does not help anyone here and is transmitted from two-legged to four-legged. It is best if at least two people are available for the most frightened and pain-stricken cat’s first aid.
One person should fix the cat and, at best, wear gloves because even otherwise gentle tigers can lunge under the influence of pain with the claws or bite hard – and a cat bite is in no way to joke, and this should be treated immediately by a doctor.
Depending on whether there is fur on the wound, this can first be cut away around the wound in the case of longhaired cats. Then the wound should be disinfected, treated with wound ointment and finally dressed with bandages. Depending on the wound size, you should immediately go to the vet.
You might need this for just such a case:
- Disinfectant or disinfectant spray for wounds.
- Must have on board: sterile compresses for bite or scratch wounds. Of course, you hope you’ll never have to use them, but if you do, they’re worth their weight in gold.
- In addition to the compresses, there is also the bandage material. Especially for animals, the bandages are self-adhesive.
- Herbal wound ointment with natural ingredients relieves pain and helps the healing process.
- A cool pack, for example, if a painful insect bite appears. It is important to keep it cool and wrap it in a washcloth, for example, so the cat stays cool. Compresses that cool immediately are particularly suitable for use on cats, especially when traveling.
- Rescue drops for anxiety tigers – these shouldn’t be your standard preparation for travel because your cats should have a certain amount of relaxation on the road. But in case something unexpected happens, or they do need to see the vet on the road, these can be reassuring
- Painkillers- please always have these prescribed by your vet.
Stomach problems in cats
Here we know, as mentioned at the beginning, very well. After a week with two diarrhea cats on 5 square meters, we are washed with all water and disinfectants. We recommend having these not only for wound care but also for the environment always in petto.
But now to the furry patient: It may first help to prescribe a small food break for acute stomach problems or diarrhea. The velvet paw has here anyway, usually no too large appetite. 12 h without food is no problem for the cat, but longer than 24 h, it should never remain without food intake. A visit to the vet is essential, even if the cat refuses to eat, because otherwise, it can lead to serious health problems. However, a short break from eating is okay in case of stomach problems so that the digestive organs can calm down.
Utensils for the treatment of health problems of the cat.
A fever thermometer for the rear entrance is recommended to assess the cat’s general condition better. The result should be 38 to 39.2 degrees body temperature when measuring a healthy cat. When buying a thermometer, it’s best to get a fast measurement – less than 10 seconds is a good time.
A syringe for the administration of medication. This can be very helpful, especially with liquid medications.
Bandage scissors to cut off the dressing material. Disinfectant spray for the environment.
Not to be underestimated – things that make your life with sick cats easier:
Owners of Long-haired cats will thank you for the tip- wet wipes or dry shampoo for cats is something we always have with us.
Of course, we keep our fingers and paws crossed that you will never need all these accessories, but you know: Safety comes first!