Terriers are fun dogs, full of energy and generally very hardy. Two common care topics are grooming the long-haired types and looking after the terrier’s diet.
The variety of long-haired terriers can be broadly categorized into two types for grooming purposes. This is because they require different grooming techniques, which can be outlined as:
✅ Best Groom Professional Terrier Palm Pad Brush
Good value practical and useful brush – This product was a great investment for a grooming aide for your dandie dinmont terriers. They prefer this over a traditional brush as it simulates the petting motion. Highly recommend.
- The long soft coat of the Yorkshire Terrier or Skye Terrier needs regular brushing, and for non-show dogs, clipping the length of fur that hangs down its sides is necessary to prevent it dragging on the ground. Show dogs are usually stripped with a stripping knife, moving in the direction of the fur growth to remove dead hairs, then older hair plucked with one hand while holding the skin down with the other.
- Airedale Terriers and the wire-haired types are clipped, again in the direction of growth, around the terrier’s head moving down its back towards the tail. Then the chest and outside of the legs and thighs can be clipped, and the inside of the thighs after that on relevant breeds such as the Miniature Schnauzer.
- Finally, the ears and muzzle can be trimmed before tidying up eyebrows, etc, with small scissors. Thinning shears and wire-toothed combs, used with care to undo matted and tangled fur, help speed up the process.
>>> Read Next >>>
A recommended general approach to dog diets is explained here click here.
Individual terriers will have their own idiosyncrasies and there is a wide range of terrier breeds, but for terriers, the staple meat ingredient of chicken, beef, or lamb is most relevant, with dry kibble to complement it.
However, raw foods are usually less of an option with terriers as they are prone to no digesting food especially well, which leads in some cases to stomach problems which in turn can be serious in the smaller breeds. Again, though it’s a generalization, terriers can be less amenable or suited by vegetables than most breeds.
Other Pet Owners Are Also Reading
- How To Change The Brand Or Type Of Food Of Your Dog?
- The Cost Of Keeping A Dog
- Wound Licking: Is It Healing Or A Hazard?
👍 Food For Dogs
👍 Food For Cats
👍 Small Mammals Knowledge
- Male Pet Names
- 5 Best Choices For Guinea Pig Cages In 2021: Something You Must Know As Their Owner
- Pet Rats: 3 Important Elements That You Must Know In 2021 | Make Pets Healthier Under COVID-19
👍 Exotic Pets Knowledge
- Male Pet Names
- Common FAQ When You Choose A Pet Sitter | Tips For Animal Owners In 2021
- 5 Guidelines In Selecting The Best Veterinary Clinic For Your Pet’s Needs
👍 Farm Ranch Knowledge